Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:09:36 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)

Naomi,
I think that what the research shows is exactly what Michel Odent says "breech is the other normal way to give birth".
I think breech babies are breech for a reason and forcing then to turn is an error in judgement. There is no evidence
whatsoever that it is safe to perform surgery on healthy women because their babies are behaving normally.

I recently worked with a woman prenatally whose baby was breech and she was told she could not have her baby at
home if the baby remained breech (thanks to ACOG and their fear-mongering threats against midwives). I did a consult
and taught her some energy techniques and asked her to release her fears about breech birth--trust her baby. If she
continued to focus on the breech, that is where things would remain.  That was on a Saturday and she did the things I
told her to do and three days later the baby turned on her own. She had many emotional things to process before her baby
was safe to turn, but some babies are safer right where they are.

My daughter turned when I had energy work done, and then used Bach Flowers and asked her to turn, b/c I wanted a water birth
and my midwife would not do one for a breech baby. She had no concerns about the homebirth-- just the water (unfounded, I know,
and today I would have just done it by myself, but I had more fears then). She flipped right around that night. To this day, I regret
my fear directed my actions--I think she was meant to be born breech and ended up acynclytic and had such a hard labor. As I
have learned repeatedly over the past 15 years--she always knows what is best for her and when she accedes to my fears, we
both pay a dear price.

I know this is what you asked for, but IMO if the baby is breech b/c she needs attention to things being ignored, then attention
will do the trick.  If she needs to process some fears, the homeopathy or Bach Flowers will do it. If she needs to be where she is,
then our lack of trust in her is a very dear price to pay indeed.

Naomi writes:
"Thanks for the responses re: turning breech babies. I wasn't clear in
my question. Does anyone know of any research studies on any of the
methods for turning breech babies. Do they work?How often?Under what
circumstances? Does any one method work better than another? Perhaps
some combinations of methods?"

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2