Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:02:51 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Just a couple comments.  My thought about the mother being told that she couldn't nurse her baby in the ped's office was how disheartening this could be for a young mother, especially one who was fairly new to breastfeeding and hadn't learned to ignore the disrespect that sometimes is thrown at nursing mothers.  Something like being chastised by a medical professional, especially in a place which should be among the safest public places for nursing that there is, could be the last straw for a young mom, if she happened to already be discouraged.  I would point that out to the doctor whose office this took place in, and also remind him of all the health problems that are more common in babies who are not breastfed.  If he didn't care enough about his infant patients to at least tell his nurse that breastfeeding was acceptable in his clinic, it wouldn't say much for him, and I would have to wonder if there were other areas in which he would value the opinion of some other adult over the welfare of a patient.

As far as food allergies, I wonder if the cases where babies are said to have outgrown allergies if the problem was really an allergy, or more of a sensitivity.  Two of my kids did not tolerate cow's milk formulas as young babies, but were able to do OK with them by about a year old, and have had no trouble with cow's milk products since (one is now 9 and the other is 17).   I don't think this was actually an allergy to cow's milk, though.  I think it was more of a sensitivity and difficulty digesting it, which stopped being a problem when their digestive tracts matured a bit more.   I wonder, if I had not adopted them and needed to supplement with formula, if the amount of cow's milk protein they would have gotten from my eating it would have been a problem.   Also, I found that either powdered formula or just powdered non-fat milk was easier for those two kids than fresh, so I used only powder until they got to about 18 months.  I suspect that the intense heat treatment used to dehydrate the milk may have broken down the proteins and made it easier to digest.  I wonder if some moms who feel their babies are sensitive might try using only milk that has been powdered.  It might be worth trying for someone who has a real hard time avoiding milk.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2