Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:42:49 -0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (122 lines)
Hi Virginia
I was only picking up on the  health aspect of the   poor mother who was  facing  being told that she could only express in the loo

The point is that it is  the  Health and Safety   legislation that mentions it, and  H&S is a pretty blunt instrument,  and only looks at,  well,  health and safety, and a mother's legal rights to leave, treatment and suchlike .   Supportive politicians and  b/f orgs  do work towards better  provision for   families,  including breastfeeding breaks [see point  4 of the breastfeeding manifesto http://www.breastfeedingmanifesto.org.uk/doc/breastfeeding_manifesto.pdf  ]
In fact the legislation requires that a  full risk assessment is done for a mother who is returning to work and is breastfeeding. And  there is no limit set to how long a mother chooses to breastfeed.   So there is automatically a chance for pointing out what would be best for health of mother  and baby, in fact   if a mother insists  on  looking at what will be best for  her and her baby she is helping her employer fulfil his legal duty.    In Britain   employers can be  prosecuted for breaches of the legislation.  

I know we should have more,  but it is there,  it points out that expressing  in the loo is not acceptable ,  and if a mother is put in the  position of the mother who wrote to Abby,  she  actually has a leg to stand on, well, 2 legs  one that  doesn't question her right to  express in a more appropriate place.  

I'm sure  most  BF counsellors/Leaders in Britain have helped mothers work out ways to  find the best solution for them, including choosing nearby childcare or  the carer bringing the baby along and some arrangements have  been very  good, others have had jobs which made things harder.  But we have Statutory maternity leave  for 52 weeks and some mothers may be entitled to receive Statutory Maternity Pay for up to 39 weeks of the leave.  There is also the  possibility for  flexible working
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10029491
 which could include some homeworking , for example,  or other flexibility to care for dependents

So our situation is  wholly different  to a mother in the US.

I have also known of childminders who have actively encouraged the mum to pop to   the carer's house to nurse at breaks,   or for the carer to bring the baby along to work, and to nurse immediately before and after work and  the mother has not wanted to continue with that arrangement after a few weeks.  

Helen
Work with employers to create a

supportive environment for

breastfeeding mothers

No UK Government has provided sufficient protection

for women returning to work who would like to continue to

breastfeed4. We call on all Governments to legislate for

breastfeeding breaks for women at work, in line with several

other European countries.

Work with employers to create a

supportive environment for

breastfeeding mothers

No UK Government has provided sufficient protection

for women returning to work who would like to continue to

breastfeed4. We call on all Governments to legislate for

breastfeeding breaks for women at work, in line with several

other European countries.

----- Original Message ----- 
  To: [log in to unmask] 
  Cc: [log in to unmask] 
  Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:39 AM
  Subject: Re: pumping in the restroom (toilet)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helen Butler shared the links to the UK HSE's guidelines for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.  At best, this is a very minimalist policy; at worst, it further enshrines the separation of the mother and baby without suggesting that other provisions are possible.  I was very disappointed to see that there was no provision at all for breastfeeding.  It never seems to have occurred to the authors to think that mothers might actually *breastfeed* when not at home.  They either assume that mothers will prefer to pump and *breastmilk-feed*, or they think that providing pumping facilities will keep everyone happy and make the employer look good.

I'd have preferred to see some mention made for a) workplace childcare (okay, I'm going for the gold standard) or at least b) a family member or care-giver to bring the baby for breastfeeding.  In some facilities, this would mean very little change to the room set aside for pumping, anyway.

Mentioning this in a policy, even if it is a rare occurrence, at least plants the seed in the minds of employed mothers and employers.  Might I add that workplaces which have the foresight to set up workplace childcare should be able to recoup the cost in fees (even if offering subsidized fees), including accepting enrolments from parents in other nearby workplaces.   

I'm currently "nomail".  So please copy any comments to me to keep me in this strand

Warm regards,

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA 

Brisbane, Qld, Australia 

E: [log in to unmask] 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ON Tue, 17 Mar 2009,  Helen Butler wrote

Subject: My latest update from the [British] Health and Safety Executive  = mentions their guidance for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers

MOTHERS AT WORK

++ International Women's Day ++=20

In support, HSE is raising awareness of its guidance for new and = expectant mothers.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/index.htm?ebul=3Dhsegen/16-mar-2009&cr=3D9 =

If you click through to the   leaflet =

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/mothers.htm you will find this Rest facilities for pregnant and breastfeeding women

Many pregnant women feel tired and need to rest. Breastfeeding mothers = need a clean, private place to express and store their milk. Employers = are legally required to provide suitable rest facilities for workers who = are pregnant or breastfeeding. Also, although not a legal requirement, = employers are encouraged to provide a healthy and safe environment for = nursing mothers to express and store milk. This could be provided in the = suitable rest facilities. However, it is not suitable for toilets to be = used for this purpose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2