Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:42:56 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Thanks so much to you all for your responses to my query.
I can't mention you all - Marian, Chris, Toby and more but the information was really helpful and the discussion even more so.

the reason I asked for this was due to what I had suspected was a FTT baby.
In these suspect cases it is important to be able to give a general guideline on amounts in order to encourage the mom to carry on trying to increase her supply yet not undermine her ability. I haven't really spoken "specific amounts" with the mom.  baby looking very sunken and drawn, Mom is sure all is okay, and I assured her that most likely all is okay. Baby 2 1/2 weeks old. not surpassed his birthweight.  Her ped said "ABM" of course, but she did go for a second MD IBCLC opinion and we are trying this route. I am trying to encourage her go about  her business nursing on demand, and ff all ebm. She is doing great. and is able to express more and more each day which she documents daily. IMHO he doesn't look like he has the strength to bf effectively and by strengthening him with EBM he may perk up and be able to do the work on his own. We are also documenting output.  I did digital and he seemed to have a weakish suck. Together with maternal stress and worry seems feeding the baby will solve all soon. As soon as we get an increase in weight then we can make a reference to amounts the baby received by ff and tube and adjust it accordingly. I think the numbers I was looking for were more for my own personal knowledge and confidence!!

thanks and will keep you posted.

Ellen Shein, IBCLC, Tel Aviv

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2