Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:45:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Thank you for your reply to my post. 
I saw mom and baby again today because L breast still painful during nursing and this time mom wanted to practice lying on the side position and so she did, lying on her left side and baby lying on R side to feed from L breast, and I helped them position, latch looked very good and sealed but then baby would suck several times and then swallow in a pattern for a while and then would pause and then started sucking again making some 'clicking' type of noise when mom would say it hurts then (baby occasinally continuing sucking with this noise). Before feeding started I had checked baby's mouth but didn't see any abnormalities, but maybe because I'm not so experienced with diagnosing abnormalitites. The tongue seemed to extend and I don't think its related to R shoulder pain anymore because baby seemed comfortable lying on R side to feed and this BF looked normal from baby's part but mom said she still felt pain associated with that noise. Also, when baby left the breast, the nipple was extended but also seemed squeezed flat from top to bottom, it wasn't round and mom pointed that pain was more on the right side of her nipple, occasionally even going towards her R shoulder. Could it be a bubble palate or do you think its still related to baby's R shoulder injury thats maybe still healing or what else could it be?. If so, whats the next step? I tried to encourage mom to stop feeding on L side if so painful and switch to mostly feeding on R side but also pumping the L side to stimulate milk flow (she prefers pumping than hand expressing). But she is even willing to BF on L side even with the pain!! I feel helpless although pain is improving very little but its also difficult for mom to BF always on a lying down position all day (none of the other positions seem to lessen the pain). 
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Eda Caglayan, CLC
Turkey

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2