Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 11:29:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have read the book, "Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and naptime strategies for the breastfeeding family" by Diane Wiessinger, Diana West, Linda J. Smith and Teresa Pitman, mentioned here by Rachel Myr and others.  What I particularly liked was the specific recommendations for creating a safe sleep environment while keeping mother (and later father or other responsible adult) together, the specific attention to the first day and night home with a new baby, practical ways to soothe an upset baby, the attention given to strategies to help protect parents' own sleep (not dealt with in such detail elsewhere), good suggestions on ways to help with gradual night weaning, detailed discussion of all the baby sleep gadgets marketed to parents, the idea of a "sleep sentry" to guard and protect the new parents and baby as they sleep, and the clear and useful discussion of the flawed studies and interpretations that underlie many of the public campaigns against shared sleep.

This book analyzes the studies and provides numerous, up to date references.  I found Part Five, "Safe-Sleep Science" (pages 308 - 379) of particular help in thinking how to deal with our own local (Madison/Dane County, Wisconsin) public health campaign message of "Share the room - not the bed." This campaign and an attempt by some of us breastfeeding advocates to respond to the safe sleep issue in a more nuanced way has led to divisions within our local breastfeeding coalition.  

I find it difficult to get the leaders behind these campaigns to read the criticisms of the flawed studies they are using.  I've compiled a list of good resources, and have added this book to it.  I will request that our local public library order copies of "Sweet Sleep."  The problem is getting those behind the no-bedsharing campaigns to rethink their strategies.  A lot of money has been invested in billboards, media messages, bringing in outside speakers, and promoting of the no-bedsharing idea, and it is hard for those leaders to backtrack.  And it is hard for those who work in the public health departments which promote the no-bedshaing campaigns to speak out against their employers.  I can buy a copy of the book to give to those leading the campaign, but will they read it?

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC, LLLL
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2