Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:51:44 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 Lisa Enger wrote:
Subject: Formula rep talk/ Gerber/HMF

".... our NICU fellows that they were given a talk by the Meade-Johnson rep on the new formulas. .... One of the fellows .... was appalled at the presentation and e-mailed the program director who essentially said, oh well, who else would they get free food from for the talks! "

Lisa, perhaps I'm being facetious, but this seems a time to suggest that any of these well-paid professionals can't afford to bring her/his own meal, s/he puts her/his name on a list for a subsidized meal!!  (WOuld any do so???)  There have to be ways that this dependence on free food at presentations can be broken.  It may take a lot of ingenuity to find them!  Not impossible, though.
    It is also possible - sometimes - to work round the situation of free food from companies producing items covered by the WHO Code, while working within the current expectation of food.  A colleague of mine provided the food for a session on breastfeeding for paediatricians at her hospital, under the name of her ILCA affiliate, and made sure attendees knew who the sponsor was. I think it was morning-tea or afternoon-tea, not a big, expensive meal.  I suggested this to someone in another affiliate, and can't remember if she was able to follow through and do this at her workplace.

Lisa also wrote:
"As for Gerber .... They have the "gel" pads that .... fall apart at a mere touch and leave particles on the mom's breast, easy for the baby to ingest. .... Be careful, we found that there were some samples of the nipple gel pads in commercial gift packs that were being given out on our post-partum floor. We are taking them out due to safety concerns."

Lisa, I hope the staff is *telling* the mothers that they are taking the gel packs out for safety concerns?  This would be good education, and would make them aware of safety concerns if they are looking for products to buy after they are home.
    I'm going "no mail" later today as life continues to be busy.  So please copy any meessages to me privately, Lactnetters.
     Virginia,
      in summery Brisbane

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2