Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:01:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hello wise ones,

It's been quite a while since I've posted to the list, so I'll briefly re-introduce myself. I am a newish private practice LC, not so new La Leche League Leader in Brooklyn, NY USA. I have two sons, now 12 and 9, both of whom nursed for biologically appropriate amounts of time. :-)

I'm posting on behalf of a friend, also a Leader, who is currently hospitalized due to pre-term amniotic fluid leakage and contractions following a urinary tract infection (it's all a bit nebulous as to what precipitated what). Mother is 33; third baby, just passed the 30-week mark; two previous vaginal births, breastfed 2+ years each; history of insufficient glandular tissue and use of Domperidone, donor milk and Lact-Aid (but established gorgeous supply with no. 2 baby within two weeks postpartum). She reported colostrum leakage as of yesterday. She was planning a homebirth, so this anticipation of the NICU experience and an evidently breastfeeding-unfriendly hospital culture has her worried and seeking any references she might be able to present to hospital staff on the benefit of attempting to breastfeed directly after C-section in the operating room. Of course, she is aware that, depending on how much longer she can hold out before they insist on doing the section and the relative maturity of kiddo, she may not be able to get nutritive sucking to happen. She just wants some ammunition in favor of getting things off to the best possible start under the circumstances. I have searched the archives and come up with only one post regarding nursing directly after C-section. In addition, I've sent her a bunch of Kangaroo Mother Care/pre-term breastfeeding types of studies from PubMed. Any other suggestions or professional  anecdotes from hospital RN/IBCLC experience would be so very much appreciated.

Best wishes to all of you who are celebrating at this season!

Warmly,
Marjorie Vera
LLLL, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2