Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2012 11:15:31 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
In California,  a few years ago, some WIC sites were able to stop giving formula to all mothers who declared they were breastfeeding - at the same time, they had trained all their staff and added Peer Counselors supervised by IBCLCs to provide help for mothers who came in for breastfeeding help.  This worked!

Now in California, we have over 50 Peer Counselor programs throughout the state, policies that mimicked that system, and our breastfeeding rates are increasing...

My point is, we need to prove, through small steps, the cost-benefit of the IBCLC and the PC.  Currently in my county the PC's are the first ones to _demand_ more IBCLCs - they know what their limitations are, and want to make sure moms get timely and appropriate support.  At the same time, almost all our PCs are slowly going through steps, classes and conferences, observations, supervised interactions, that can lead to THEM being IBCLCs.

I fear very much that if the House's committee decision is not challenged by their own constituents, and we do not contact our own senators and congressmen, we will close the door on these opportunities of expansion for jobs and for training...  

Jeanette Panchula
(Speaking now as a private citizen, an IBCLC who has worked with and trained PCs and has 37+ years of Peer Counseling experience as a La Leche League Leader)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2