Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:12:30 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hi all,

I want to thank everyone who shared her ideas about how to deal with other people's work.
I also read Nikki's post and I think she addresses a very relevant issue.
She says she is happy to share her work, as she is being paid for the job she does. There you go... quite a difference!
I really don't exaggerate when I state that I put at least thousand unpaid hours in the whole crying-guideline-matter.
All the books I read, the websites I surfed, the listening to speakers (and much of this had to be paid for... by me personally!) somehow found its way into my powerpoint.
We managed to get the guideline withdrawn, but ONLY because I spent such an almost ridiculous amount of time on it.
Of course I am pleased with that; of course I am happy that people feel my message is important and should be told.
(By the way... it is not MY message... it is *A* message that should be spread in the interest of moms and babies and therefore of society...)
But does that mean she can copy the whole lot in her *paid* time...? I really don't think so.
Doing the in-service myself (as Liz mentioned, something I had of course suggested straight away) would allow me some income that would allow for further learning and more powerpoints and so on...
Thing is: these difficult, less tangible topics (crying, co-sleeping, oxytocin (relevant in many area's!), WHO-code) are often not dealt with.
Why...? It's too expensive for people to do it in the boss' time and too much work for them to be willing to do it in their own time!
And here I am, sucker for these topics... reading my head of, buying one book after the other, organising retreat days because I feel there is such an incredible amount of stuff to learn..
I wasn't planning on getting abundantly wealthy through this profession; if I were, it would be a sign of sincere lack of sense of reality. ;o))
After paying my whole studies and exam and congresses and practice building and PR and so on and so forth... I *was* planning on earning some kind of income.
Fair enough, I would reckon.
I will really reconsider making pp handouts the next time...
Respecting copyrights is in the Code of Ethics, by the way, so Rachel was quite right mentioning IBLCE in her posting.

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2