Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2011 07:35:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Dear all:

I am going to make my plea again to NOT add to the confusion about the term cosleeping.  This term has been used so sloppily as to become meaningless. Cosleeping has been defined as sleeping on close proximity --- which can actually fit the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations to sleep in close proximity on a separate surface. One study showed that the risk of SIDS from putting a baby in a separate room was 36% higher than cosleeping.  It was 16% higher when cosleeping occurred in the same bed compared to a separate surface-- and of course they didn't compare to SAFER bed sharing.

Bed sharing is much more specific.  I think we have an obligation to ourselves and to parents to be extremely specific about the terminology because so much confusion has been generated by sloppy researchers and the crib industry.  

In this regard, I have to say I am disappointed to report that a pediatric practice in Manhattan has gone from recommending shutting the door on your 8 week old to now recommending that you're not doing a good enough job if you six week old doesn't cry before you allow that six week old to feed at night.  This particular practice has expanded widely throughout Manhattan and really seems to be forcing the pediatricians to toe the line with this advice.  So, now I understand why I'm getting more business for low supply and failure to thrive.  Business I would rather not have.

Best regards, 

Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2