text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
----- Forwarded Message ----
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, January 30, 2010 9:53:09 AM
Subject: info on herbs

While studying to become a lactation consultant, I have come across lots of good info on herbs that are helpful with increasing supply and some helpful with certain conditions experienced by nursing moms (yeast). 

Now, at our hospital we cannot share this info directly with moms, we have to send the info to their physician and let their physician discuss this info with them and decide if this is something they can try.   The reasoning behind this is because these  are supplements that can be bought over the counter and if we have told her that this herb is something that has helped other mothers in her situation, and she tries it without her MD's knowledge then we have just "prescribed", without proper authorization.  I understand that we have no prescriptive authority and I understand the potential danger in taking any med without being under an MD's supervision. 

But the problem that we are having is that when we send this herbal info to the MD, many of them say," I am unfamiliar with this" and will not tell a mom that it's OK to take.   Then you feel as though your hands are tied in helping this mom, because we have usually already gone through increasing pumping, power pumping, and all other simple (non-medicinal/herbal) techniques for increasing supply.  

Has anyone else, had this experience at their facility, and if so what was a solution that was found to work, while working without our scope of practice and being able to help these moms?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Karen Lavergne RN, IBCLC, RLC
USA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2