Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:43:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
from http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1296919

"But while we defend Longuinho's right to breastfeed in public, we're wondering if child welfare authorities might not want to investigate someone who would expose her infant to the bacterial hazards of breastfeeding in a public swimming pool, rather than take a minute to move to a safer location. We doubt if Longuinho would eat a meal in a public swimming pool; why does she expect her daughter to?"

the choices offered to the nursing  mother were the viewing gallery or the change room. hmmm, doesn't change room=locker room=same germs as the bathroom? I'm sure child welfare authorities would be as interested in investigating this as they would the the young mom I sat next to in a doctor's office waiting room, totally disinterested in her baby in the bucket (carseat) who was trying to interact with mom, when mom took a bottle out of a diaper bag, already with some older liquid in it, opened the bottle and sat the lid (nipple and ring) directly ON THE FLOOR, opened a can of formula and put the lid ON THE FLOOR, poured scoop after scoop after scoop into the bottle, went to the bathroom to fill the bottle with tap water from the sink, shook a few times, then propped the bottle for the baby to drink.

and the pregnant pool owner Ellie Karkouti: "Am I ever going to stick my baby's mouth on a breast that's been in a pool without cleaning it (first)? Never, ever," she said. 

so back to washing breasts and nipples before nursing? doesn't she know of the antiinfective properties of breastmilk?

sheeeeesh,

vicki hayes rn ibclc in brunswick ga usa, who's nursed many times with funky beachwater or poolwater residue on my breasts. actually the only time I've really had to make an effort to wash off my breasts pre-nursing was a really hot day when I sprinkled powder between my breasts and inside my shirt, and much later after I'd either forgotten or thought it was all gone, lachlan started to nurse, made a yucky face and said "eeeewwww mommy! tastes bad!" :-)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2