Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 03:36:34 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
*This message was sent using a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) SMTPGate*
I posted a question a while ago without realizing the potocol of introducing yourself first. My apologies as I rectify that. I am not a nurse nor a LLL nor a CLE or IBCLC. I am a mom who easily breastfed three wonderful children (youngest now 18) at a time when it was not widely acceptable to do so and at a time a mom who had anything but an easy time at breastfeeding was out of luck. I have owned several businesses over the years and now have had the great good fortune to be able to combine that experience with something I had almost forgotten I was so passionate about: breastfeeding. It is a gift to be able to help moms be able to bf who might not have been able to in the past. A significant portion of our business is with mothers of hospitalized babies, either premies or very sick babies at the regional children's hospital. We have 2 RNs who are CLE's on staff as well as an RN with pediatric and ob experience. Of course, I am learning like crazy, but the business and rout!
 ine end of things keeps me more tha

Many thanks to Diane Wiessinger for her editorial on the language we use. It has been the catalyst for a great deal of discussion and rethinking around our office.

Specifically I'd like to respond to Laurie Wheeler's request for how the bf class discussion of bf & alcohol consumption is handled. One of our CLE's who does the class at one of the hospitals here handles it something like this:

There is not the strict prohibition of having a drink while you are bf that there has been while pregnant. Alcohol goes into the bloodstream and the milk supply quickly, but also goes out relatively quickly. So, it's probably not a good idea to have that drink right before you sit down to bf (even though some of your moms may have been told to drink beer before bf). Right after bf would be better. We used to say to figure about an hour per drink for it to clear your system. Recent studies are indicating maybe two hours per drink would be better. So a glass of wine or a marguarita once in a while should not be a problem.
Now, we are not talking about a mom here who thinks a 6 pack or more a day is ok. For that mom, we might even say that her baby will do really well on formula!. Moderation, Moderation.

I thought I was the only one (not having a medical background, I'll always assume it's just me in this crowd!) who sometimes wanted to see the answer to a question which was then posted by private e-mail. So thank you Joyce for giving voice to my thoughts.

Sue
Sue Petracek, Bosom Buddies, Inc., (303) 860-0041
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web page: www.bosombuddies.com

Helping mothers breastfeed successfully.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2