Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:01:20 -0500
Content-Type:
TEXT/PLAIN
Parts/Attachments:
TEXT/PLAIN (21 lines)
Hi! I work as a L.C. half-time in our local hospital and also enjoy a small private practice as
the only practicing IBCLC in this city.  I've been lurking on and off now for many months
and have always thoroughly enjoyed the knowledge, wisdom and humor on Lactnet.  I've learned so
much and enjoy the wonderful "comraderie" found here.  My question:

Can a mother stop taking Domperidone cold turkey once her supply is up to par for some time or
should she reduce the dosage gradually to perhaps avoid a significant drop in supply?

I've searched the archives on Domperidone use but have found no information regarding how to
stop its use (though I thought I had read something about weaning off of it gradually).  The
mother of a prem here in our Intensive Care Nursery has been using this drug for three weeks.
Her supply doubled just 24 hours after beginning its use. She continues to pump and her baby is
going to breast 2-3 times per day.  Tommorrow her baby is being discharged. She would like to
stop using Domperidone now and try Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle instead (while continuing to
pump and increasing feeds at the breast).  Jack, what do you recommend?

Many thanks in advance

Genevieve Courant,MSc(Nutrition), RN, IBCLC;  Mother to Eric 12yrs and Sophie 9yrs
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

ATOM RSS1 RSS2