Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2010 18:38:14 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Due to a LONG trip to Texas, I have been unable to read all the messages on this topic...but I have to agree with recent messages stressing the importance of IBCLCs knowing how to counsel and refer moms who report difficulties. 

I have been leading La Leche League Meetings since 1975, and have been approached by mothers MANY times because they didn't know who to talk to about it.  This made me include one or two comments on the topic at every series of meetings (q 4 months).    If you are an IBCLC who only works in the hospital with the moms of newborns, this may not seem as important, HOWEVER, IBCLC's should be aware of this issue and be able to provide appropriate referrals when they are approached.  

It is part of our Clinical Competencies: 
	"Make appropriate referrals to other health care professionals and community resources"

..and our Code of Ethics: 
	"Recognize and exercise professional judgment within the limits of her/his qualifications. This principle includes seeking counsel and making referrals to appropriate providers."

...I often say, it's not WHAT I know...but WHO I know that is important!  ...and by the way, it was great seeing so many of you in ILCA!  

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2