Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:16:15 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Let one of these anti-antibiotic folks see a raging abscess that destroys the breast and terminates breastfeeding and see what they think.  Tell them to read a few JHL or JCL articles.  Read some good research.  Mastitis is no laughing matter and should not be treated lightly.  The sooner the issue is addressed, the better.  Essential oils, herbs, etc might be OK for breast "congestion" or early non-infectious mastitis.  But remember in the old days before antibiotics, people died from infection.  Yes, they can be overused, but I like what Jack Newman's policy is - treat the congestion, fix latch, etc. but if not improving by 24 hours, go with the antibiotics.  Recent research on damaged nipples has shown that oral antibiotics was more effective and quicker healing than topical or no treatment.  IMHO

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Erika Lance
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:45 PM
Subject: herbs verses antibiotics

Do we have a standard of care when treating mastitus as an IBCLC? I have always referred mom to her HCP and they give mom an oral antibiotic.
Lately, I have been having a discussion with my friends who are against anti-biotics and believe the mom should try essential oils and or herbs and stay far away from antibiotics. I am not against herbs to help treat infections but I have also seen so many women who benefit quickly from the anti-biotics the HCP prescribes. What are your thoughts

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2