Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:11:48 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
I was a sales and marketing representative for 8 years, in two different industries, and have taken a number of training courses to develop personal sales skills.  (but I wasn't a pharmaceutical or medical rep).

My thoughts on how to deal with formula sales reps:
1.  Don't allow them to give presentations.  I don't believe it would be possible for a rep to provide "product information" in an unbiased manner than would not include sales techniques.  As a rep, not being allowed to present in person is the most frustrating situation, and very difficult to overcome.  We would ALWAYS prefer to present in-person, over just providing product literature or samples, as we want to develop a personal relationship, and be able find out information and objections (and refute them) immediately and in person.  That's our job - otherwise the company could and would just print pamphlets and give samples, etc, right?

2.  If they must be allowed to present, don't interact with them.  Listen to presentation once, thank and dismiss them.  This is probably the second most frustrating situation for a rep.  The best reps don't want to do all the talking, they will ask questions to discover your needs and concerns, and then will they use many techiniques to overcome them, depending on the objection (provide information for errors in fact, appeal to ego if person says they must defer decision to discuss with another person, provide trials, samples or references to reduce "buying" risk if product new or person uncertain, minimize a true defect in product, etc).

So as long as you are talking and trying to refute something the sales rep said, he is happy, because he has an opportunity to try to overcome it.  He is trained to never give up.  But if you shut up and don't voice your criticisms in front of him, he doesn't have an opportunity to challenge them.  He will be very frustrated.
Even if he is not able to refute your objection immediately in front of you, he will certainly find or think of the answer later.  His sales presentation in front of you next time, or the next hospital, will be that much stronger and harder to find holes with.  You only see reps once in awhile, he is doing these presentations daily.

3. You would, of course, want to point out product weaknesses to your staff and colleagues after the presentation, and back that up with evidence, to make sure that they were not influenced by the sales presentation.  But I wouldn't supply that information to the rep, as as I said above, that would only provide him the opportunity to think and research the weakness and counter it in the next presentation.  He will NEVER admit that the product is deficient or dangerous or not needed.  Its his livelihood, and he will use all his time, experience and resources to find a way to refute your criticism.

I would NEVER NORMALLY give the advice above, as I truly believe in the value of my profession and that it allows our economy to function more efficiently.  When consumers provide information to companies, the companies are able to make products than better suit the consumer, and there is less waste is our system.  Companies making products that are imperfect or that no one wants is a waste of everyone's time and resources.  Companies that don't make a profit will not be around tomorrow to provide that product to you when you need it.

But with formula reps I will advise you to confound them as much as possible, since I truly believe that formula is an unneccesary product. If we truly supported breastfeeding and had the political will to have enough human milk banks to supply milk for those who need it, there would be no need for formula to exist.

If you believe that we must always have a need for formula, and therefore it should be the best it can be, you should disregard my advice above, and cooperate and dialogue with formula reps, to enable them to improve their product.

Sincerely,
Janice Reynolds
Consumer Representative, Breastfeeding Committee for Canada
(former top-sales representative with for international corporations, now at home selling chocolate bars for skating fundraisers)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2