Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:38:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I have a mom/baby dyad who are struggling to be comfortable with one another in the nursing relationship.  They are taking a break from offering the breast since the baby would scream and push it away, so my main suggestion in my first interaction (by phone) with this mother was to spend at least 48 hours in a "babymoon" phase.  I will be seeing them this weekend and have a question about cord care.  (And, yes, it does relate to breastfeeding!)  I really think that this mother and baby would benefit from the "rebirthing" concept, which I can easily present as "relaxing in a warm tub", blah blah blah.  Well, at one week of age, the cord is still attached and the mother "can't get the cord wet".  My hope is that the baby will actually nuzzle and inch closer to nursing given some of the history of this dyad, but I know that cord care is controversial.  Personally, I did the "alcohol and attention at every diaper change" regimen with my oldest child.  With the next four, well, I did *nothing* but common sense care.  The next four all took tub baths with me before their cords fell off and they are all still alive today after weaning well past the average U.S. age to do so <g>.  When I taught childbirth classes at one of the local hospitals, the standard of care at that time was to "leave it alone" (for that facility).  What do I tell this mother and what evidence is there to back up what I suggest?  Both the new mother and the grandmother are healthcare professionals, so I do not want to lead them astray.  Suggestions?  This is not earth-shattering, like contaminated formula, but this is one more baby who just might be persuaded to nurse, so thank you for your advice!

Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC and MOM to 5 in KS, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2