Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:30:22 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Veronica, I have worked in two settings as an LC. One a hospital where any staff member had access to nipple shields and could give them out. No training required. Now I work for WIC and we just inserviced our Peer Counselors and professional staff on how to use them. They will have some in each clinic to try, especially for the tons of bottle preference cases we get. We'll see what happens.

I inserviced the staff using LLLI's handout on Nipple Shields. There is also good information (meaning very current) in the 2003 BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK. I passed around copies of the revised Breastfeeding Atlas at the photo section to show them what a properly fitted nipple shield looks like. I took one Medela regular size and carefully applied it to one of those stuffed cloth nipple/breast demonstrator things to show them. If you do it just right, by turning it halfway inside out and applying it to pull up the "tissue", you can get a small bit of suction to pull up the cloth nipple out into the shield (hold the shield on tight with fingers on the base or it falls off). I demonstrated the "plop it on" method to show how this often doesn't work well, and the halfway inside out method that usually works better. 

I discussed why use one (on the handout), how to apply it, fitting one to mom and baby, baby's proper latch on, active sucking, cleaning, and weaning. Medela's have instructions in English and Spanish and we instructed our staff to pull out the instruction sheet and go over it with mom. Each staff member also got one of the LLLI handouts. 

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC
Houston

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2