Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:08:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
DAN Medic Followup EmailThis has been an issue discussed numerous times on LACTNET but I wanted to share a correspondance I received..

I wrote to the medical board of Diver's Alert Network out of Duke University Medical Center about the need (if any) to do a research study on breastmilk and post-dive nitrogen levels since there is no evidence published on this topic, and how the lack of information leads to women being told to never breastfeed after diving, or to dump for  XX ( insert erroneous time table) amount of time after diving, or to only shallow dive ( these are the ones I have heard recently). 

"We can state that there is no scientific data available on this subject. There were and are no plans for any controlled randomized studies. The reason is quite simple. Any gaseous nitrogen that might be contained in breast milk after diving poses no hazard to the child. The gaseous nitrogen is ingested enterally. There is no mechanism in which the nitrogen can cross into the child's circulatory system to be able to cause any injury. This is really no different that the child swallowing air along with the breast milk during feeding. Another example is any individual consuming a carbonated beverage. We sincerely hope that this information is useful. We are always willing to speak with healthcare providers as a matter of education. If we can be any further assistance do not hesitate to contact DAN. "

But if anyone should want to do a study anyway, I do have a willing cohort!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mirine R. Dye
Florida Keys Healthy Start Coalition
www.KeysHealthyStart.org 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2