Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
On 2011-08-11, at 12:03 AM, Jaye Simpson, IBCLC wrote:
> 
> 
> Jaye again....  Why on Earth do I need medical
> documentation, "  Do you ever need to discuss a client with a medical professional?  or write a note to one?  I do, regularly and I need medical terminology.   Other professionals understand better if I speak their language.

> Occupational Safety,    Not a bad thing to know about if you are in any kind of occupation.   That involves things like slips and falls, fire safety etc.   Do you see people in their homes?  Then you might want to see if there are any hazards when you arrive.   Do they see you in your home or office?  You had better be sure it is a safe environment.

> Universal Precautions,   Not a lot you need to know about this one since universal precautions are not needed for breastmilk.     But what if your client is a carrier of Hep C or Hep B or is in the early stages of HIV infection before she is HIV positive?   What if you are teaching her hand expression and her cracked nipple oozes some liquid on your fingers? 

>   "And what if someone who wants to be an IBCLC has NO desire
> to ever work in the medical environment and wants to ONLY be private
> practice?"     One of the tenets of the IBCLE Code of Ethics  is #9,.	Recognize and exercise professional judgment within the limits of her/his qualifications. This principle includes seeking counsel and making referrals to appropriate providers.."       Can you refer appropriately to a medical person without the terminology?

> "I can understand CPR"   I agree entirely.   Our local Y offers it as part of their baby-sitting course and  and also offers it to new parents.   I have never had to use it as a lactation consultant but I did use it once in an emergency situation.    Not at all a bad thing to have.

>  "Professional Ethics?"  If you recertify by CERPs you need a certain number of E CERPS,  Ethics.  
> 
> And what about those in other countries??     You need Ethics if you are an IBCLC, it is our Code.   How can you practice ethically if you don't understand Ethics?People I know from other countries know about CPR even if they have not " taken the course"  It is not something peculiar to the USA .  And medical terminology occurs in many other languages than America     

> For the first three years the exam was offered, there were no requirements.   After that it was possible to determine who was likely to pass and so criteria were put in place to ensure a high pass rate.  These are just extra criteria that are added after years of lower expectation.  

I feel very comfortable with the new requirements.   Thank you IBLCE.

Eileen Shea , BSc(Chem) LLLC, organist certificant (RCCO) not a nurse
> .   
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2