Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:34:53 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (49 lines)
Susan Burger said: 

In fact, we do not need a one size fits all breastfeeding helper that is trained from 	one single educational program.  We need many varied different types of helpers in 	an all hands on deck approach.  

I can't agree more!  In fact, we also need people WITHIN each program who have different skills and share them!  

Criticism will only destroy us all - as we know that when we speak badly of someone, it reflects worse on us than on them!   (As I often told my kids - you'll be surprised at how many times you find that the person you're criticizing is the other person's cousin!)

People will always have differing viewpoints - but if we believe that people are trying to do the best they can with the tools they have - then trying to facilitate getting more "tools" (knowledge, skills) into everyone's hands is the best way to "raise the level of care" for the community as a whole.

Isolation is a big barrier to understanding.  When we try to "go it alone" we end up talking about "us" and "them".  Face to face respectful discussions can go a long way to improving the breastfeeding team in your communities.  

I'm so proud of our Solano County Breastfeeding Coalition - now over 14 years old - where nurses, prenatal educators, Health Educators, nurse practitioners, hospital staff, outpatient staff, WIC nutritionists, Peer Counselors from various programs, IBCLCs, LLLLeaders, Social Workers, staff from the MediCal Insurance program (and I'm missing others) meet and respectfully share their cases (last one was a mom with breast surgery gone wrong x 3 then implants were added) and brainstorm ideas.    

We have a standard format of "education" -  sharing "tools" - first, such as information from conferences we've attended, a CD we purchased, etc. to make sure we all know what we are doing.  

We also brainstorm activities 
- we are now working on gathering "patient evaluations" (see a sample of our first version on our website: www.solanocounty.com/breastfeeding)  - a WIC Nutrition Intern is compiling the data - so far from 300 replies 
-  and we are also planning a "breastfeeding fashion show" for October.

My point being, we need to envision what are the barriers in our community and how to reach them 
- hospital administrators will listen to data 
- but moms - they love fashion shows!
...and different skills are needed to accomplish them.

Some moms benefit from groups - others want only text/e-mail contact - others want/need home visits.  Some hospitals are not ready to listen to more than 10 minutes of discussion - others want a 20 hour course!  Different people provide different services - and all are valuable and important!

Often when we think of a "doctor" ONE particular person (nice or not nice) comes to mind.  When we think of an IBCLC, a CLE, a Peer Counselor, a trainer,  the same thing happens.  This is called "prejudice" or "pre-judgment" and needs to be controlled (everyone has prejudices, as professionals, it is our job to control them so that we do not hurt the innocent).  

I hope we can develop better methods to communicate than public criticism.  This rarely reflects well on either - and makes MOST people want to avoid both!

Jeanette Panchula - Vacaville, CA
La Leche League Leader
IBCLC (for state and county Maternal Child and Adolescent Health Departments and to help train WIC Peer Counselors when their IBCLC/supervisor is unavailable)
Public Health Nurse (Solano County)
Public Speaker - to whoever will hire me! <grin>
Out-reach-er: to all of YOU when I'm "stuck" 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2