Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 01:22:15 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (86 lines)
Nestlé is no more responsible at this point for poor human health than any other huge agribusiness company. 

I have to admit my frustration that we continue to track the products sold by Nestlé as if we are tracking some moral high-ground, while giving a seal of approval to those products sold by, say, Kellogg (from whom the US Bfing Committee accepted tainted money), which has actively sought to prevent labeling of GMO "foods" in the US and is the parent company of one of the bakeries for Girl Scout Cookies. I wonder that we aren't concerned about the slave-trade chocolate or GMOs in those cookies? 

http://www.modernalternativekitchen.com/2013/01/its-girl-scout-cookie-time/#.URCjJlp6ynk

http://www.milehimama.com/girl-scout-cookie-ingredients-and-real-food/

From the Girl Scouts' website:

"Q: Does the chocolate used in Girl Scout Cookies come from cacao beans picked by children?

A: Our licensed bakers continue to work with their main suppliers of chocolate and with the Chocolate Manufacturer's Association (CMA), of which both licensed bakers are members, on the issues of slavery and abusive child labor as it relates to the production and purchase of chocolate. The chocolate suppliers and the CMA strongly condemn the use of slavery and abusive labor practices. Their goal is to support the governments and advocacy groups that will make a difference in the lives of the cacao farmers as well as to give assurances to consumers that the cocoa has been farmed under appropriate working conditions."

Oh, and all that palm oil? Dead orangutans. Lots of them. 

All the breastfeeding in the world cannot overcome the multi-generational epigenetic firestorm we now face on this planet due to generations of medicalized birth, artificial feeding, toxins in our food, water, environment and medications. I don't track Nestlé products, bc they don't manufacture food anyway, so I am unlikely to ever buy anything they market. But, I won't be buying Girl Scout Cookies or anything similar either. It's all bad and arguing over degrees seems kind of insane to me. 

This whole thing reminds me of David Sazuki's quote: "We're a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyones arguing over where they're going to sit". 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:47:41 -0500
Subject: Nestle products and Girl Scout cookies

Last  evening, Phyllis Adamson posted an extensive list of Nestle products that 
she had found on Wikipedia.  At about the same time that the digest with 
Phyllis's post came through, I also received a post from the Girl Scouts 
regarding their upcoming cookie sales.  I checked the list of cookies that they 
are selling this year and did not see any cookies with any Nestle branding at 
all.  Edy's Ice Cream does sell Thin Mint brand ice cream.  If you see some cute 
little Girl Scouts selling cookies in a few days, you can buy cookies with a 
clear conscience.  Just avoid buying Edy's ice cream. If you would like to 
encourage the Girl Scouts to end their partnership with Edy's Ice Cream, 

Date:    Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:56:58 -0500
Subject: Nestle and Girl Scouts --OOPS!

I hit send before I finished my post.  I meant to minimize to look uo the Girls 
Scout's address and to add my signature.

http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/faq.asp

The last question on the FAQ gives two email addresses to contact the Girls 
Scouts.  We may want them to contract with another company when their contract 
with Edy's is over.

contact [log in to unmask]  or [log in to unmask]

Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout.

Warmly,
Carol Kelley
Taylors, SC, USA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2