Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:26:32 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hi Dear Lactation Friends,

My question concerns the healthy full term infant in the first 24 hours of life.  I have read years ago in pediatric texts about the "period of reactivity" or some wording like that.  It referred to the newborn's states after birth.  Those of us that spend a lot of time around babies of this age know that a lot of babies feed well initially and then go into a deep sleep (and this deep sleep can go for 6 hours or more).  It is sometimes accompanied by spitting up mucus and amniotic fluid.  Doesn't matter if the nurse stands on her head, the baby isn't going to eat.  I can't find the references for this normal behavior.  I believe the references stated that it is accompanied by decreased bowel sounds and other physiological signs as well.  Some doctors and nurses are putting pressure on the already anxious new mom that they must wake the baby at this time.  My experience is that if they had several good feedings in the first hours of life and remain skin to skin after that they will eventually go back to nursing well and cluster feed.  But does anyone have studies to back this up?  Most of my experience is with hospital based birth so maybe it something to do with mother's medications in labor and it isn't normal.  I would love some feedback!

Thanks so much lacnetters for all the great help I receive from this digest!

Polly Westra R.N., IBCLC
Still in Sunny South Florida

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: DO NOT FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged material that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, or taking any action in reliance on its contents is prohibited.  If you have any reason to believe this e-mail was not intended for you, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify the sender immediately.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2