Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 21:48:25 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Hello everyone... I will briefly re-introduce myself: I am a new CLC & LLL leader & WIC volunteer breastfeeding counselor, amassing hours towards my IBCLE exam.. Just got a call from a mom who gave me permission to seek advice here.
   This is a 1st time mom of a 15 month old, with history of abundant milk supply.  Mom wants to keep nursing at least a couple more months as the babe is undergoing surgery at that point, but 6-8 weeks ago weaned off night nursing followed by drop in supply that has fluctuated w/ the nursing pattern since.  Little one has had slight decrease in wet diapers, is not yet taking to a cup well. For the last week or so she has felt very little / slow let down and breasts have "felt empty"; the baby gets frustrated  & pulls off after a few minutes for most daytime nursings.. She has resumed night nursing at least once a night.  She can get about 2 ounces w/ a manual pump at this point.
    I suggested increasing nursing as much as her little one is willing, co-sleeping to increase night nursing again, pumping after nursing, & Mother's Milk Tea as some ideas to try to increase supply, as well as reassuring her that if she can still pump 2 oz w/ a manual pump she has a good starting point; also suggested trying a dropper w/ expressed milk at the breast to keep her babe interested until let down occurs, which she reports can be as long as 10-15 minutes.  Also told her to pay close attention to keeping her holiday schedule light to allow more nursing times, and focus on the close cuddling time vs. worrying about let down to help her relax... anything I haven't covered, being a rank beginner???  More ideas would be greatly appreciated; this mom is very worried about being able to maintain nursing at least through the upcoming surgery...  replies welcome to the list, to me, or to the mom (Elizabeth) at: [log in to unmask]   Thanks for and to  all the great minds here!!!! 

Esther Friedman, CLC LLLL
Salem, Oregon
[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2