Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:41:20 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
The core WIC budget for each state includes a target amount to spend on breastfeeding.  This amount is based on an average of the number of pregnant and breastfeeding women served by WIC in the state during May, June, and July of the previous year.  For federal fiscal year 2001 (Oct. 1, 2000 to Sept. 30, 2001) that amount is $25.21 per woman.  Nationally, this amounts to $29,807,932.  Many states spend much more than the targeted amount.  In the past 2 years since I've been WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator in Missouri, additional USDA grants have been available to state WIC agencies for special projects.  With the change of administration though, who knows what the future funding will be.

Valerie is correct that the true spending for breastfeeding depends on the commitment of the state and local WIC administrators.  It's important to realize that the breastfeeding target $$ is not "extra" money in the WIC budget.  If there's not a watchdog for breastfeeding in the agency, that money could be shifted elsewhere.  After saying that though, I must add that in my contacts within the Missouri Department of Health and with other state WIC agencies I have found many dedicated breastfeeding supporters.

Barbara Raymond, RD, IBCLC
Infant Nutrition Coordinator
Bureau of Nutrition Policy and Education
MO Department of Health

(where the position of State WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator has been removed from the Bureau of WIC so I can more easily account for breastfeeding spending)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2