Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:13:12 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi Suzanne, 
I had a call like this a couple of years ago (in California). It was while Liz Baldwin was still with us. She said basically in jail the moms have no rights, and *if* you are able to get contact with the jailers at all ( I think maybe having a lawyer speak to them was recommended- can't remember so maybe it's been longer than I think), be *extremely* nice ( I'm sure they have been) and possibly point out that this may have medical consequenses for the mom i.e. mastitis or abcess. If they come at it from that angle they may get through- they don't want a very ill mom to deal with. I don't know if a health care worker could be helpful here- the jail nurse or mom's OB?
Of course you have probably told her to hand express already to relieve engorgement and preserve as much of a milk supply as possible. Instructions and support around that may be helpful to her. 
So, as of 3-4 years ago, accding to Liz Baldwin, JD, the mom basically has no rights and if any priveleges are granted it is at the kindness of the jail staff.
Certainly not justice for baby or mom. The case I was called about involved a one week old baby, BTW. 
Mary Taylor, LLLL, AAPL,. new IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2