Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:45:33 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Certainly I agree with Barbara Wilson-Clay about the importance of respecting every mother's choices and helping her, non-judgmentally to make the best choice for her and her baby, regardless of my personal beliefs.  I do not believe in anything called "the right way" to do breastfeeding or just about anything.  Life is not black and white and neither is breastfeeding.

However, I observe certain attitudes and behaviors that are counter-productive to the assistance I am being asked to provide, and I am looking for solutions for ways that I can be more effective as a professional.  I also am learning and changing and hopefully growing in my abilities and knowledge, partly as a result of this list-serve.  When I worked in the field of Community Health in Illinois, there was a model for change that had as one component, "Impacting Cultural Norms."  It is the hardest of the five components, the easiest being "Education."  I believe that our profession does and should impact cultural norms.  Yes, I am very happy that the overall picture is improved.  At the same time, I am honestly distressed by the "pump craze."  I do believe, as someone else on this list has suggested, that the pregnant women are bombarded by information about products, and just assume that their layette (does anyone call it that anymore?) won't be complete without a breastpump.  I think we need a voice in that picture, too.

I heartily agree with the post that advises "have them attend LLL meetings."  In my area, that is not so easy to do, but I always advocate for LLLI as a resource, and tell moms that attending while pregnant is really helpful.  I know pre-natal BF educators and childbirth educators who advise women not to buy pumps until after the baby is born, and then determine their need with the help of a lactation consultant.  

I am pleased to have the availability of pumps and other devices, too, when they are needed.  I believe that anything has the potential to be misused or overused, and I try to offer guidance to those who seek it.

Patricia Ellis  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2