Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:07:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I can relate to all the comments that have been made both from in-hospital and outpatient IBCLCs. I work in both settings. And I feel your pain and frustration with overuse of pumping. I strongly believe that any intervertion should have the right place and the right time.  I do believe that IBCLC can suggest it after careful assessment of situation. 

I always questioned starting pumping almost right away after birth when a mother and a baby are not separated. I found that on some days every second or third mother on postpartum floor where I work used to have a pump. Is a pump really effective in first postpartum days? Is pumping more work for mother and less time resting and holding her baby? Is she going home thinking that this is breastfeeding? And how long is it going to be before she starts using formula since she "is not getting anything with a pump"? 

So, the obvious question: why not hand expression? It is simple, a mother can do it any time and she can hold her baby while she is doing that. Most mothers will get more colostrum by hand than by pump anyway. The only if is that if she is doing it efficiently.  There are multiple techniques and if it is painless and mother gets milk she is obviously using the right one. I shared before and will share again our video about hand expression. The link is free to share and we have one video in English and the other one with Spanish Subtitles.

Here is the link:  http://www.bfmedneo.com/BreastMassageVideo.aspx

Our hospital became Baby Friendly last year. Since  we taught all nusrses breast massage and hand expression techniques I see way less pumping . When baby is not latching we simply teach mothers to hand express and refeed their milk (even drops) and keep babies skin to skin. We continue to support and help them with latching.  And refer to a good outpatient follow up. It really works!!!

Warmly,

Maya Bolman, IBCLC
Cleveland, Ohio

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2