Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:37:53 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Jennifer proposes a maternal "leaky gut" reason for babies having food intolerances with oversupply.  It also makes sense that the irritation of the oversupply could give the *baby* a leaky gut, with the same consequence.  And I've had one baby respond to quite a different solution.

I've been impressed by Rebecca Glover's suggestion that babies swallow more easily with their heads in "extension" (though it isn't really that).  I've been thinking sword swallower.  If you want to get something down your throat, the simplest way is to give it a straight shot - sword or beer or milk.  

So when a woman came to me with her second at 2 weeks, after having had major oversupply problems with her first, just on a hunch I tried something different.  Her baby had been drinking until let-down, then pulling away, and she'd been going with that.  This time, as her milk released and he started to back away, I suggested she bring his chest in even closer.  His head tipped back farther, the gulping smoothed out, and he stayed on the breast.  She e-mailed me a few days later to say everything was fine. 

It hasn't worked with a couple other babies, but their combined anatomies haven't made for such a simple "bring his chest in closer" maneuver.  I'm certainly keeping it on my list for gulpers... 

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2