Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 09:48:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I agree with everything Kathy Eng, of Houston, said.  I started a PPLC buisiness up here in Northern New York right after moving here.  I wanted to continue helping breastfeeding mothers, but I needed some flexibility to take care of my 4 children since my husband was working full time.  The problem here is that the area is rural and the people don't have much disposable income.  Most services can be had for free through the Army base here, the local hospital, or through a program available to Medicaid patients.  Also, the hospital sells Medela breastpumps at wholesale prices, so it's very hard to compete.  At this point, I do some consultations, but I mostly carry spare parts for those who need them.  I've taken my costs down very low and my goal now is to provide hard to find parts for people who need them.  I don't even have regular hours now as my clients are few and far between.  I'm back in school to become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.  I'm finding up here that the IBCLC may help me market myself for other positions, but is not enough to be hired in itself.  

Good luck, and I agree that doing a very good assessment of the services already available in your area is a really smart thing to do.

Anne Nans, RN, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2