Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:38:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi, everyone.

I am in the process of preparing evidence-based education for our nurses on Rooming In, and searching for evidence in support of its benefits. Our hospital has practiced rooming in as the standard of care for over 15 years, but there are still instances when nurses offer to watch babies for a few hours at a time in order to "provide moms with rest". I have come across many studies comparing routine separation practices (keeping babies and moms separated mostly except for feedings every 4 hours or so) with maintaining as much maternal-infant contact as possible during the hospital stay, and of course there is much evidence in support of no separation in the first 2 hours (sensitive period), but I'm having a more challenging time finding research studying shorter periods of separation such as we experience. Does anyone know of studies that look more specifically at the effects of a 3 or 4 hour separation "nap" (or "rest period" for mom) during the first 2 days on breastfeeding, attachment, crying behaviors, post partum mood, etc.? I would be grateful for your thoughts!

Thank you,
Amy Moore, MSN, RNC, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2