Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:49:07 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Thank you all, so much, for responding to my plea for help.   Here's a quick update.   I called one of our large pediatric practices here in Denver to get their input.  The providers said that while it certainly isn't recommended, they didn't feel that the baby was in any immediate risk.  The advised me to reach out to her every other day and check in, hopefully she will invite me back for one more test weight, or possibly come into the hospital for a free test weight -- which I will offer.   As the only professional she has invited in, the doctor suggested I be as kind and supportive as possible without condemning any of the behaviors.  Crying it out - while abhorrent to me - is a documented parenting style actually supported by the AAP and not they type of thing social services would respond to here.  (shudder!)   I called her yesterday to check and she reported that baby "just doesn't like her" and now won't latch well - so that is a bigger concern.  I'm planning on setting up a free check in tomorrow to do another test weight.  The doctor is fairly certain the baby won't be gaining and then I can encourage her to try commercial formula again.   I did hear from a few people that the Hernandez Formula is not out of the ordinary, but usually not used before 6 months.   It is heartbreaking to me that beyond feeding this baby, I feel like this kiddo will always be at risk.  Unfortunately, you don't have to be sane and/or loving to have children.   Thanks again for all the help and the (mostly) kind advise.  It is wonderful to have this link since sometimes I feel I work in isolation.  I appreciate the reminder that I am part of a bigger picture.   Kristiin Denver, CO

Kristi R. Conroy, BA, IBCLC, RLC
LATCH Lactation Support
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant 

American Heart Association BLS Instructor
Certified Car Seat Technician
www.facebook.com/breastfeeding303

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2