Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:14:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
I emailed you privately, Kathleen, but have to admit it shocks me when diet is not the first treatment for all disease, although the implicit connection between environmental toxins and poor nutritional status has to be addressed. You can eat very, very well, but if you have heavy metals and other toxins on board, you will still likely be sick. 
I suggest you read "The Autoimmune Epidemic" by Donna Jackson Nakawaza (her focus is the toxic environment, but she discusses the anti-inflammatory diet), as well as "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman MD and the Ultra-Mind Solution" by Mark Hyman MD. The reality is that most of what Americans eat is not food and toxic to the body and what we ingest through the air, water, drugs, vaccines, cleaning products, "health and beauty aids" and other everyday exposures is creating, as Nakazawa says, "a perfect storm". 
Fuhrman and Hyman both address auto-immune disease using nutrition (I think Fuhrman needs to get more on board with toxicity issues, though) and elimination of pro-imflmmatory "foods", such as dairy and grains. 
When I work with babies with food allergy, I am always directing my approach toward the mom. Babies with food allergies generally have moms with damaged guts and many have auto-immune conditions present.
I hope this helps. 
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, Toulouse, FR
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Hi Jennifer, as a person who struggles with autoimmune disease and psoriatic arthritis ( a form of rheumatoid arthritis) I am so interested in your statement that is is nutrtional in nature /cause... and that the solution is nutritional. Can you please site your reference for that, as I am personally interested in any new information that I can find. I have more than a passing knowledge of nutrition, yet I have never heard this correlation or a cause/effect relationship either.  I have seen a naturopath and done extensive work with him, and with acupuncture, and have no luck, by the way. Long story not needed here, but I just wanted to know more info and documentation if you have it. Thank you. Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC, Lactnet listmother

Wow, I'm feeling pretty sheepish...I've never heard that auto-immune disease is nutritional in nature. Is there any evidence to back this up?
Jannette Festival

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2