Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:56:59 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
Hi All,

I agree that more mother-to-mother support for breastfeeding is a good thing.  At the hospital closest to me there have been 100,000 births since the year 2000 (their website says "There is only one city in Maryland that is bigger than 100,000. So, if Holy Cross Hospital's deliveries since 2000 were a city, it would be the Second Largest City in Maryland!")
 But only 15-20 mothers per month come to my LLL meeting.  Obviously, there is a need that LLL can't fill alone.  I look forward to LLL and BFUSA and other support groups, such as the one at Breastfeeding Center for Greater Washington, thriving side-by-side as we all help mothers succeed in the normal act of mothering at the breast.

Because there has been mention of LLL's philosophy, I've posted it below.  Any typos or mistakes are my own -- I'm retyping rather than cutting and pasting to limit the amount of computer coding that might confuse or bog down this post. You can get more information at http://www.llli.org/.  

The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
	* Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.

* Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.

* In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.

* Breast milk is the superior infant food.

* For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.

* Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.

* Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.

* Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support help and companionship, help, and companionship of the baby's father.  A father's unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child's development from early infancy.

* Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.

* From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.

Breast wishes to all,
Nancy Mallin, MA, IBCLC, LLLL
Kensington, Maryland, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2