Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:18:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I have to agree with Cee and Anne.  A couple of years ago, Kathleen Bruce described nurse-ins 
(and forgive me if I have the wording or attribution wrong) as "negative-energy events."  

While conventional wisdom seems to be that Victoria's Secret is harder on nursing moms than 
other stores (I question this), I suspect that most of the staff at the targeted Victoria's Secret 
stores are already in basic agreement with 98% of what the nurse-in participants think about 
breastfeeding in public. And  I think the points of contention that remain could probably be 
resolved with much less drama than that of a nurse-in.  In other words, I agree with Cee that a 
nurse-in has great potential to alienate a lot of people who are already pretty cool with 
breastfeeding (in public or elsewhere).

Women who have been harrassed for or prevented from breastfeeding in a public place (retail or 
other) often feel humiliated and violated.  Whenever this happens, it should be dealt with in a way 
that makes it less likely to happen again.  But in a society in which breastfeeding rates are slowly 
climbing, in which several states have laws protecting women who breastfeed in public, in which 
the company in question has written policies in support of breastfeeding, and in which most of us 
go through our public nursing career experiencing little to no harrassment, it might be a mistake 
to assume that a protest is needed to educate people.  Cee's ideas for responding to this 
challenge seem more appropriate to me.

Kerry Ose

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2