Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)

Begin forwarded message:

As for the mothers taking fenugreek etc, I've long thought that if the

mothers feeding their own babies are taking these drugs/herbs, how can it

be an issue for donors?

I do not know if NICU moms are told about the possible effects of galactagogues on their fragile babies’ health. That would vary by hospital and perhaps by baby.

In the US herbal preparations are unregulated and there are studies telling us that the content of herbal preparations are very variable, including the strength of the herbs and additional ingredients. This is one of the reasons that HMBANA milk banks do not accept donations from moms while they are taking herbal preparations.

It is true that many herbs are also used in foods, but not in the quantities that they are used as herbal medicines.

As long as there is full disclosure, in case there

IS a baby who can’t take something or other.

In US and Canada, milk banks pasteurize milk and ship to hospitals. We do not know which baby will receive which milk. Hospitals order milk for a week, or two week, or a month at a time. They too do not know which babies will receive which milk when they order it. I would also imagine, though I do not now for sure, that it is not always possible to know which babies will have problems with which herbs from the beginning.  So, unfortunately, it is not possible to personalize the milk in this way.

This is not true of milk banks all over the world, in some countries indeed, milk is processed from one mother for one baby. In these cases they may, in fact, do what you are suggesting.

And why not accept that milk

for the older babies who might also need donor milk?  It can't be that hard

to code the milk, surely?

The discussion of multi tiered milk standards has begun. Setting such a system in place involves additional evidence based guidelines to assure that milk going to full term healthy babies is safe for them. There are a number of clinical and lab questions to address in addition to herbal medicines. This will take time.

The limiting factor for processing "reject" milk would be the volume of

milk that could be run through the institution's pasteuriser each week,

which I know is an issue with some milk banks.

Pasteurizer use is not the limiting factor for HMBANA milk banks. It is the need for evidence based safety guidelines.

I hope this is helpful.

Naomi

------------------------------------------

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.

Executive Director

Mothers' Milk Bank Northeast

President-Elect

Human Milk Banking Association of North America

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

office: 617-527-6263

direct line: 617-340-3600

www.milkbankne.org

www.facebook.com/mmbne<http://www.facebook.com/mmbne>

@MMBNorthEast

------------------------------------------

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message without saving, copying or disclosing it.  Thank you.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2