Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:59:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Once again I need help from the more experienced ones on the list about a situation I have only book knowledge about.

A mother we have worked with about 2 years ago in our lactation clinic with diagnosed PCOS, infertility issues and classic tubular hypoplastic breasts contacted me again with questions about what she can do during her pregnancy to stimulate breast growth and milk production for the new baby. 

Her story is quite fascinating for me, so I think it is best to share some more (I have permission to post details).

Mom (37 years old at that time) appeared first on an internet forum with a very serious concern - her 27-days old baby weighed 900 gr below birth weight!!! (born 3600, weighed 2700 on day 27). The baby girl was immediately started on supplements and mom came to the clinic for further evaluation 4-5 days later. She has classic tubular breasts, widely spaced, almost no breast changes during pregnancy. She reported feeling her milk coming in and some breast tenderness afterwards.

While taking her history it came up that she was diagnosed with PCOS after 8 months of unsuccessful attempts to achieve pregnancy. Hormonal panel showed problems with FSH and androstedion (?). Mom did not get any treatment for PCOS at that time and none since. She was put on a HRT pill (Climonorm) for 2 months and then stimulated with Clostilbegyt, Dufaston , Puregon и Pregnyl - pregnancy was achieved via insemination.

Mom is highly motivated, did not get discouraged despite the awful situation with her baby losing so much weight. She actively researched her options, continued to express milk, began taking goat's rue tea and in some months time was able to express 120 ml per pumping session.

Mom is currently 15 weeks pregnant. Pregnancy was spontaneous this time, after taking only homeopathic medicines, aloe and EFAs. She wants to know whether she can do something in advance to insure good milk production from the start this time.

I recommended the book Making more milk - we are currently discussing some of the suggestions, but I have no experience with herbal treatments. The doctor we are working with in the lactation clinic has no experience with herbs either and it is quite difficult to find reliable herbalists or naturopaths here.

Mom wants to know whether she needs to consult an endocrinologist about the PCOS issue, although she is reluctant to take metformin because it is not a natural treatment. She has tried goat's rue with success during her breastfeeding experience and wants to know if she could start it again during the pregnancy and what would be the best time for its start (it is said during the 3.trimester in the book?). She is also open to any other suggestions about herbs that best fit her problems and other ways to optimize her chances this time.

TIA,

Christina Yaneva
BF Peer Councellor
Bulgaria

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2