Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:04:04 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Andrea,
  Just out of sheer curiosity...I didn't hear any mention of the infant.  Is there now something wrong with this baby that he is still unable to suckle at breast?  Tongue exercises not helping?  I guess I'm thinking I missed something, or it is missing from your post?  Just trying to help. 

Joy Kahler
  LLL of Wyoming, USA

Andrea Tran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I posted on this mom before and am really looking for any ideas. She is getting very discouraged with her low supply.

She gave birth at 35+ weeks by C/S. She was given a shot of betamethasone before delivery. She had minimal breast changes with pregnancy. She never got engorged, just some fullness. She is now 3 weeks out. She started pumping early and was good about pumping regularly and did lots of kangaroo care. 

She is taking all the herbs - Fenugreek, Goat's Rue, More Milk Plus and is on Day 3 of Domperidone. She is currently on 10 mg 4x/day. I told her to ask if she can go up to 20 mg. She has an enlarged thyroid so they check those levels frequently. Here bleeding is WNL.

She used the Symphony and at 11 days started having some pumpings when she would get virtually nothing usually followed by pretty good volumes. She tried a Classic, but it didn't make a difference and was less comfortable. She bought an Avent Isis and said she actually gets the most out with that. When she pumps she has to do a lot of massage to get the milk moving. When we talked today she said she was getting 30-45 ml. She pumps about every 2-4 hours. She has tried power pumping and seems to get alot with that.

I left her with instructions to add up her 24 hour totals so we can see if they are increasing at all.

Anything anybody can think of? Anything at all?

Thanks for any replies.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

---------------------------------
Never miss a thing.   Make Yahoo your homepage.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2