Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:32:37 EST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
Oh Jean, I really do agree.  Hindmilk pumping would be the easiest.  Unfortunately, numbers work well in convincing neonatologists and NICU nurses that this would be a good thing for the babies.  The NICU is like the "Show me State"--they gotta see it to believe it.  The science and research of breastmilk is what they respect; it'll be easier for them to accept--and amazing to them.  What's in my favor is that their minds are open to it!  A crit spinner costs about $1300 new (yes, I found even used ones on Google)--about the cost of one day's stay in our Level III NICU.  I can easily justify getting one if it saves one day of a baby's NICU stay.  Probably pretty easy. Of course, nutrition and weight gain are in the top three of problems which keep babies--the others being respiratory and infection.  Hmmm.  So if I can find a way to increase weight gain in a manner that the babies will tolerate better than MCT oil and polycose.....Good.  With keeping feedings going and not having to hold them due to intolerance(spitting, vomiting and abdominal distention), we save hospital days(and dollars)for the hospital, for the baby and for the family.  Makes everyone happy.  Now, look at what we'll be doing for mom's self esteem--making her baby grow on HER breast milk with less/no additives.  Mother's increased self esteem--more confidence in caring for her baby on discharge.  We see this all the time with Kangaroo Care and puttting the baby to breast.
    Many good reasons to start hindmilk pumping.  Unfortunately, we'll have to play the numbers game.  At least I know breastmilk won't come up short.  I wish I could get the same odds whe I play the lottery!
    Thanks for responding--I'm happy to explain why we do the things we do.  I think it'll lead to a greater understanding of the dynamics of NICUs.  My thinking is that we'll have to creamatocrits for awhile, then they'll accept that breastmilk can be "fortified" with itself.  Have a great Sunday!  Maureen Allen

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2