Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:07:52 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I am working with a client that is very detailed oriented. So much that she charts everything. She reads everything and she writes down everything I say. She also mentions every minute detail of stooling, wetting and feeding times and amounts and either it was formula/breastmilk, etc and wants to tell me every detail when we are on the phone of what is in her chart. I must be too laid back because this is driving me mad, yet she really wants to do this and I really want to see her succeed. How do I help her when she is so book detailed and I am a more listen to the baby, go from there kinda girl. You can't learn about your baby from schedules and charts and even books but she claims that her charts and schedules are helping her. She calls almost 2-3 times a day because the baby or the situation changes and since what I told her last time or her books don't tell her what to do next she gets stuck with how to proceed forward.  She may be sleep deprived. She may be just like that and learns better from text then intuition.  IF I told her I need to come up to her and stay with her several mornings a week, she would go for it. If I told her to do XYZ she does it but as we know in lactation you tell a mom XYZ and she gets it and it may apply for the next week or two or forever. I am telling this mom XYZ and it seems to only help her for 3 hours. She may get tired of what I suggested and wants a new approach. I am running out of fire in how to help. How do I turn this around and how do I get her to figure mother intuition stuff on her own?  
Another example is I discussed when I was there a couple of days ago regarding emptying out the breasts effectively and often throughout the day. I mentioned it was at least 8 times a day. I failed to put that in her care plan and she did everything else I wrote down to a tee but did not feed her baby 8 times at the breasts and now she is wondering what happened to her milk supply as if it was my problem...  Maybe it is because i didn't write it down and I didn't realize she takes everything very literal.   
Julie

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2