Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 21:30:45 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Does anyone have any thoughts as to the cause of sores on the outer sides of the
nipples?  I checked An Overview of Solutions to Breastfeeding and Sucking Problems and
the only suggestions were for the tip, top, bottom and *both* sides (due to retracted
tongue) but the mom I talked with tonight said she has open wounds on the outer sides
only of both nipples.  She is also recovering from mastitis brought on, no doubt, by the
nipple injury.  She also had a Cesarian birth. Baby is 2 weeks old and soreness started
on day 2. She was using primarily the cradle hold.

Mom feels baby does not have a short frenulum and that positioning is okay.  Doc is
recommending that she wean so as to not "jeopardize her health" or use a nipple shield.
Baby has been off the breast since Wednesday and mom is reluctant to put her to the
breast again because she is so afraid of the pain.  She is really leaning towards using
a nipple shield.  I explained the risks and limitations of nipple shilds and suggested
to her that she ask her doctor to refer her to an IBCLC for very close in office
monitoring--not over the phone.  She is going to call her doc and contact me tomorrow.

Anyway, I was really trying to figure out what the baby was doing to cause the kind or
soreness she was having--tonic bite, retracting tongue?  I'm at a loss.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kathy Koch, LLL Leader
Alexandria, VA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2