> Hi all,
>
> On checking my Lactnet mails, I read about appraisal for Sean Taylor 
> refusing the prize money. I went back to one of the initial links and found 
> what's below.
> I wonder a bit about everyone being so enthusiastic about him refusing the 
> money, while he accepted the award! 
Hello, Marianne, 

I wouldn't say "everyone" is so enthusiastic. LOL I posted the link, and I personally think Sean Taylor's choice was neat. By accepting the award, but not the money, we might argue that he was targeting the marketing / economic practices the same way as people who boycott Nestlé, by throwing a small wrench into the economic cycle by boycotting their sponsorship. But what impressed me most was the fact that his action got some good press where bf advocacy would not necessarily be found -- I found it on a page of news from the book publishing industry for readers around the world. Just as a picture of a woman breastfeeding on the front of a magazine can be most effective when it is not shown as something unusual or directed to an audience of health-conscious moms, I think the fact that a writer with no apparent history of bf advocacy and who was not bound by any ethics code that would mention the WHO Code managed to get a message out to the publishing industry (which has its own problems with the interests of large corporations) and the reading public, is very interesting. And I don't think he would have got this attention if he had not let his nomination stand on the shortlist or had not let his book be submitted in the first place. Nobody beyond his circle of contacts, or perhaps the local press if it was aware and interested, would have ever known. To have a prize-winner make a statement means something. 

Of course there are degrees of integrity, and I agree that he will not be recognized as the world's best or purest breastfeeding advocate or spokesperson. That doesn't stop me from admiring his decision and from also admiring the press that managed to get his message onto websites on which the word breastfeeding (ok, probably breast feeding, according to my mainstream style guides!) has ever been published.  

I also think the article you quoted gives an idea of the fact it wasn't an easy decision. The children who voted for him wanted him to have this honour, and he seems to believe that Nestlé had improved its practices. 

But I'll emphasize that this is entirely my take on things, and I'm not for an instant trying to speak for anyone or to suggest that there aren't as many ways to choose our actions as there are people we love. 

As long as we think about what we're doing and its effects, we're thinking and acting ethically, and that's great, as far as I'm concerned. 

Jo-Anne 

> "Being on the short list for the 2007 Nestlé Children's book Prize is a 
> significant honour for me, especially since so many children around the 
> country have been involved in choosing the winning books. And I am delighted 
> to accept the award offered to me."
>
>   In his letter, Mr. Taylor commented: "In the light of these conversations, 
> it is apparent to me that many of Nestlé's controversial activities took 
> place in the past and that the company has taken steps to improve its 
> practice."

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2