Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:28:46 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Let's face it, we are never going to all agree on all aspects of lactation from "best" approaches to how best to promote and protect it.  No profession has complete agreement on all issues!  We do, however need to be careful not to cross the line to advocating our own politicfal choices, which may not always be easy.  I think we can agree that to say, "All LCs should vote for X candidate because he/she did ------- to help breastfeeding." or "No LC should vote for Y because he/she did ------- to undermine breastfeeding."  is crossing the line.  In my experience, I have never found a candidate with whom I can totally agree on all issues. Unfortunately, we have to decide for ourselves which issues get the greatese "weight" in our choices.  Even though each of us may agree on the importance of breastfeding and even on what needs to be done to help it, each of us puts different emphasis on the whole combination of issues involved in any election.  The question is how can we become aware of actions of those in the political arena without seeming to promote or demote that person.

Whether it's this issue or whether or not a subject should be discussed on LN because it may apply to one part of the globe more than another, We don't have to agree on everything!  When the subject is something that relates to another country or culture and it doesn't apply to my circumstances, I can choose to pass over that posting or read it for interest and move on.  It bothers me when someone says, in effect, "That doesn't affect me here in West Southeastland, it doesn't belong on Lactnet!"  We can all learn from each other if only to say to ourselves that we are glad we don't face the same issues or we are envious that "they have it so good".  Our world is so interconnected that we can no longer be so isolationist that we only want to hear about and deal with what applies to us individually.

Winnie, stepping down from my soapbox!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2