Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:12:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
This response may be at a slight tangent to the topic, but it is germane to breastfeeding advocacy. (Have I used the word 'germane' correctly? ;-) ). Last year as part of a masters programme I did an assignment on change management, and I found it riveting, and particularly suited to bf advocacy. One author (Schein?) contended that for change to take place, first of all the need for change needed to be identified; secondly, and this is the bit I think highly relevant to this discourse, psychological safety needed to be assured.
When we change we lose something; we lose the old ways. Learning the new ways can seem daunting and it may feel safer to continue with the old habits. Judgement of choices interferes with psychological safety, so if the change manager appears to be unempathetic, or disrespectful of one's hankering for the older, known ways, then psychological safety will not occur, and change will not be effected. In simpler terms, to convince those who are reluctant, the change manager needs to repect their point of view. 

Does that make any kind of sense?

Eithne Murray, Ireland

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2