Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:42:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Alright here's a question that my western medicine mind can't justify, but my eastern medicine mind thinks is perfectly reasonable. So, what do you think....

In the last week I have had two clients both with C-sections.  Both babes are almost 10days old and gaining well.  But that is only because mom is supplementing.  Both mothers complain of excruciating pain at latch that may or may not always resolve.  Both babes demonstrated barracuda like fast tight latches.  Work on latch with both dyads and even when babe is seemingly latched well -- mother is still in huge amounts of pain.  This occurs even after a 36 hour healing and nipples look fairly undamaged.  One babe does not appear to be tongue tied and one appears to have a submucosal but with fairly good movement.  So, the western part of my brain says early bottle use, tongue tie and residual damage and bruising is causing the pain.

The other part of me wonders whether the effect of the c-section has heightened the pain response in both of these women so that even mild discomfort is translated as pain.  Am I crazy?

Lea

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2