Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 12:33:03 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Last night I watched a wonderful TV program about Rachael Carson  and her life. How her book Silent Spring was probably responsible for the environmentalist movements of today. I had never heard of this lady before, but what a powerful woman. I felt there were many parallels to not only the anti smoking lobby, but the anti formula marketing lobby we are all a part of.

She was ridiculed by not only her own peers (biologists and scientists) but the government and media, because she found evidence that DDT was causing harm to animals and suggested that perhaps it could be harmful to humans. 
There was sickening footage of streets being sprayed by trucks belching out DDT and children having their lunch at school being sprayed! 

Now we are amazed that the chemical companies couldn't conclude that if DDT kills insects then surely it must have an effect on every living thing. Through all this Ms Carson was calm cool and logical, not ranting and raving.
At the same time she had her own battle with breast cancer and died 2 years after her book was published.

Hopefully in the not too distant future we can look back at the marketing of infant formula with the same amazement! What a truly inspiring lady.

Jackie Cesnik IBCLC
De Novo Lactation Consultants 
Vice President ALCA Vic
NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Vic Branch Information Service Co ordinator

ATOM RSS1 RSS2