Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:52:14 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi, 
   I have a question about tongue tie in a 3.5 yr old. My daughter is obviously tongue tied, which I can easily recognize now, due to my continued education, but while nursing her, I just "white knuckled" it through the first 4 weeks of extremely painful nursing with chapped, splitting and cracked/bleeding nipples. This was baby #3 for me so I thought at the time that I knew what I was doing and did not seek help. Eventually nursing got better and became painless. She weaned around 16 months when I was 6 months pregnant with the next baby.

Now, I can see that she is still tongue tied and it interferes with her speech.  We think her lisps are "cute" right now, but I am concerned that it will cause unnecessary delays in her speech development.  Has anyone here experience with having an older child's tongue tie clipped to improve speech? It is the very thin membrane that is extended out and the base of the tongue seems normally placed, i.e. not forward, as some babies have the base and the frenulum all somewhat more forward than normal.

Thanks for any info.

Jennifer Delaney
   Doula - Marshall, MI

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2