Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:48:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hi Laura,

this is from Edith K herself
"Our research has suggested that much breast and nipple pain is either: referred from traumatised nipples, vasospasm that radiates, or is a result of muscle tension in the pectoralis area - now identified as Mammary Constriction Syndrome."

and this is from a Blog "I Love Breastfeeding"

"Experiencing deep, intermittent pain in the breasts (could be one sided or both breasts) undiagnosed by other causes, and thought to be related to the muscles surrounded the breasts, as well as perhaps poor posture and position when breastfeeding.

MCS is defined as “A still hypothetical and newly described set of symptoms that address breast and nipple caused by the tightening of chest muscles leadcing to a lack of blood flow to the breast and nipples.  May be treated with Pectoral Muscle Massage."

and this is from a post on Health-e-Learning:

"On top of all those thoughts, it is also possible that her pain is coming from her back, once again, maybe because her baby is getting bigger ad she is twisting herself to hold his weight. Edith Kernerman describes pain caused by muscle spasm which causes ischemia (loss of blood supply). She calls this Mammary Constriction Syndrome. She has several suggested treatments such as PEC muscle massage, rhomboid stretches and other things like olive oil to the nipples.
We have just released a recording of Edith's talk in our Expert Lectures section www.health-e-learning.com/courses/experts-in-lactation"

I first heard of it last year when I was helping a mother with extremely sensitive nipples and wrote to Edith to ask her opinion. She told me of her work studying "mammary constriction syndrome" and the recommended treatment which the mother did do some of and which helped.  I have helped many mothers over the years who have had deep breast pain due to posture when feeding, one notably, who was having such pain that she was not sleeping and was dreading breastfeeding. I did nothing more than put a foot stool under her feet to get her to lean back and relax and the shooting pains in her breast disappeared. Having worked in EMS for many years, with a Deputy Chief who is adamant about using good body mechanics, it is always the first thing that comes to mind.. that an my own experience of breast and nipple pain due to not supporting my baby well at the breast.. biological nurturing takes care of all of this, but the pec stretches are great and imperative if mom is already all knotted up, as is a good osteopathic or chiropractic manipulation. 

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the study Edith is conducting... we get so focused on the latch and disease processes and forget that we're dealing with a lot of different muscles and nerves and sometimes its just plain ole body mechanics.

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL (writing this while slouching in my chair... shame on me! Now I'll have to straighten up!)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2